Thursday, January 25, 2007

A&P

For all you non-aviation types, an A&P is an airframe and powerplant license. It is a federally issued license to work on aircraft and aircraft engines, and more importantly, sign off the work that has been completed as airworthy.

This is a MASSIVE responsibility considering what you are signing your name to. You are essentially stating that the work you have completed is in TOTAL compliance with federal standards and manufacturer standards and not to mention the fact that people are going to be flying with a product that you have had your hands on.

Now, as an employee of an aviation engine manufacturer, I typically don't sign off work done on aircraft/engines work with my personal A&P license (which I was awarded in 2002 after 4 years of preparation, required classes and a ridiculous two day exam), but I nonetheless perform such work on aircraft.

Today, I spent more time working on engines and aircraft than I have done in a long time. I very much enjoy doing this as part of my job, but am glad that it is not the only part of my job! I had to remove an engine from an aircraft, disassembly a major portion of the engine and replace an electronic component inside the engine today. It was fun, a lot of work, but fun!

The only bummer...I am still in Minneapolis.

No comments: